Ayurveda recommends eating with your fingers instead of utensils.
Before you repel this gesture, if you feel to try this, you may be surprised by what it does for your digestion and how much better food will taste and bring you enjoyment!
One Thing at a Time
Eating with your hands means you can’t check email, read, text or answer the phone. With food all over your fingers, you are stuck doing one thing at a time and this is the time to eat.
This allows us to relax and "dine."
Eating with such awareness is essential for optimum digestion and proper delivery of nutrients. People underestimate how much this can make a difference and a lot of the time - How you eat is more important then what you eat.
Here all the 5 senses are invited to the table.
This ritual will not take long to get the hang of. In less than a week of eating like this, you'll be natural again. And no more burning your mouth with food!
Some other recommendations for the Ritual of Eating:
- Don’t eat when you are angry, depressed, emotionally unstable or immediately after physical exertion. This is the number one "rule" for eating in Ayurveda.
- Sitting cross legged on the floor encourages the right pressure to assist with digestion. The pancreas is squeezed to release digestive enzymes well and you don't overeat because you realise when you are full.
- Once your food is served, do a prayer before you start eating. Give thanks to nature for providing you with the food and can thank whichever deity you worship
- CHEW eat morsel at least 32 times, food should be like liquid.
- ENJOY in nourishment. Even if you are eating ice cream, enjoy it! (guilt free)