Express self-love and self-respect by lovingly anointing yourself from head to toe with warm oil. This practice is called Abhyanga. A daily Abyanga practice restores the balance of the doshas and enhances well-being and longevity. Regular Abyanga is especially grounding and relaxing for the Vata dosha, but everyone substantially benefits from this practice.
“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much even if subjected to accidental injuries, or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.”
Charaka Samhita Vol. 1, V: 88-89 (One of the Great ancient texts of Ayurveda)
- Best oil to use is medicated oils specific to your individual constitution and the season.
- Next best is cold-pressed, black sesame oil, as it can most effectively penetrate the body.
- Rather use cold-pressed coconut oil in some Pitta imbalances, hot climates, and if the person has skin reaction to the sesame oil.
contact me to order medicated oils.
How to Perform Self-Abhyanga
- The main purpose of the strokes is to soothe and stimulate the tissues gently and pacify Vata Dosha throughout the body via the connections the skin has to all the inner organs and systems. So be gentle, not to deep or strong. (Studies actually show light touch is more effective than deep pressure massage for the nervous system. See Light Touch vs. Deep Pressure Massage).
- Leaving oil on – Aim to leave to oil on for at least 15-20 mins, and up to 45 mins (this time is ideal) at the most. Minimum leave oil on for 8 mins.
- Washing oil off/bathing – It is very important to wash, or wipe off the oil afterwards so that the toxins that have been pulled out are not reabsorbed. For this reason, leave the oil on for no longer then 1 hour.
- Caution – Do not do abhyanga or Nasya when you are sick with fever, or when woman are menstruating.
Enjoy the nourishment you provided to your body, mind, and spirit, and carry that with you throughout your day! you sure will feel it!
Vital Veda Massage Oils
- Kumkumadi Tila – Medicated Sesame Massage Oil
- Kumkumadi Keram – Medicated Coconut Massage Oil
- Sishu Kumkumadi – Medicated Olive Baby Oil
Our medicated oils contain complex and precious formulations of a vast range of organic, wild crafted and rare herbs.
Dylan Smith (founder of Vital Veda) will impregnate rare and precious Raju family herbs into organic oils in a cultivated and attentive process that is coordinated with the cycles of the sun and moon.
This ensures safety and enhances a divine potency, and is one of the factors that make our treatments profoundly effective and treasured by so many.
Available for purchase via postage or pick up from Bondi clinic. Email to order.