Here is a simple, nourishing and nutritious meal that only a takes a few minutes to prepare, and you don’t have to be a kitchen wizard to prepare it.
In Ayurveda, sweet is the first taste to start the day and also to start a meal (yep, ‘desert’ is the first thing you eat in Ayurveda).
After you have fasted for some time, whether it be overnight or in between meals, your hunger = strong agni (digestion and appetite). You need strong agni to digest the sweet taste because it is the heaviest taste due to the earth element being dominant.
Further, the sweet taste kick starts the agni and stimulates saliva secretions (Bodhaka Kapha), to prepare your digestion for the meal and/or day ahead. This is why when you finish with sweet (common desert at the end of a meal), you keep wanting more… and then you’ll begin to feel very “full” and heavy.
Recipe + Method
- Put ghee in a pot, let it heat.
- Add 1/3 – 1/2 cup of coarse semolina or oats or rice flakes or quinoa flakes etc.
- Toast (fry) grains in the ghee to infuse ghee into the grains. – this lightens the grains and makes them easier to digest.
- Add approx. 1-cup of boiling water, stir and cook. – Be aware of porridge splatter, continually stir to avoid lumps and splatter.
- Add 1 tsp or tbsp of raw sugar (optional) + handful of raisins + handful of soaked and crushed almonds or cashews (optional for more protein and a filling breakfast) and stir.
- Add some cows milk (optional). If adding milk can initially add less boiling water.
- Add 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon powder + 1/4-1/2 tsp cardamom powder (cardamom and cinnamon removes morning sluggishness).
- Stir a bit more then it is ready!
Makes for 1 person.
Learn on Youtube + more great recipes: – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fCGfG2SrA
Try another type of Ayurvedic Porridge HERE that is assists in weight loss and is yummy for children.
“A sweet start to the day wakes the agni up to say g’day!”