Utilising Ayurvedic principles, this spiced Ayurvedic nourishing tea helps:
- satisfy sugar cravings
- provide stable energy levels and relieve fatigue
- detoxify and rejuvenate
- act as a great alternative for coffee if your body is becoming reliant on the black brew and could do with a substance substitute time-to-time.
It is the kitchen spices which balance caffeine’s potential harm, provide the medicinal benefits and make this masala chai a tasty, uplifting and healing beverage.
Chai For Two (+ A Bit Extra for Seconds)
- 10 green cardamon pods
- 1 black cardamon pod (optional)
- 1/3 cinnamon quill or 1/4tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp ajwain seeds (optional, only advised for extra digestive / joint health due to strong taste)
- 1.5-2 tbsp freshly grated ginger or 1.5 inch ginger root.
- 2 tsp or teabags of rooibos tea/roasted dandelion root, or 2tsp black tea if you want caffeine.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups organic as-ethical-as-possible cows milk (or plant-based milk if you prefer. We advise most people steer away from soy and rice milk).
- 2-3 tsp high-quality un-processed sugar like jaggery.
- Add green cardamon, black cardamon, cinnamon, fennel seeds, ajwain seeds and ginger to a mortar and pestle.
- Pound and grind until the spices and aroma opens up well.
- Place a medium-sized pot on medium heat and add 2 cups water.
- Add the spice mix and caffeine-free tea to the water.
- Boil the water and spice mixture until it reduces to approximately 1.5 cups of a spiced decoction.
- If adding black tea, add the black tea, quickly followed by milk.
- Bring the masala chai to a boil and let the milk boil/foam up 1-3 times. Boiling milk 3x is ideal to purify the milk and remove each doṣa. Boil, turn off and let the chai settle, then boil again, etc. (3 times total)
- Once boiled, strain the masala chai into your favourite cup.
- Add sugar or a chopped date, and enjoy.
- Enhance your chai by adding the sweet Ayurvedic intelligent tonic Bliss by One Eleven Health and 1/2-1 tsp of quality ghee to your cup.
- Relax and Enjoy.
*Note: Chai varies in personality. You may find your own according to your health, mood and season. Other spice options may include turmeric, pepper, saffron, clove and star anise. Or very simple – just green cardamon and ginger!