“Takra” = buttermilk
“Dhara” = to pour
Takra Dhara is an ancient treatment where medicated buttermilk is poured over the head in a rhythmic manner (pictured). This stabilises the mind and everything going on inside it, as the herbs penetrate deep into the brain.
During this treatment, usually, you’ll lie in deep, blissful rest, (that is if you haven’t transcended).
The Science: Neurological (Brain and Nervous System) Relation
In times of stress, conduction of neurone cells (nervous system) is chaotic, messages are not clear, there is an inability to think clearly, thus the nervous system is exhausted.
An exhausted nervous system leads to fatigue, sleep issues, anxiety, stress, frustration, anger, and/or other mental issues.
This chaos going on between the nerve cells also produces heat in the brain. This heat is trapped, specifically in the hypothalamus (Sadhaka Pitta), meninges and cerebrospinal fluid (Tarpaka Kapha), which further blocks and aggravates the Life Force/Oxygen (Prana), which is responsible for consciousness, memory, sense function, heart function, inhalation and exhalation and spitting, sneezing vomiting, swallowing, hiccups (Dharna’s).
Hormonal imbalance is also present from disturbed pineal and pituitary glands.
Takradhara regulates and stabilises the mind by improving transmission and movement of impulses by increasing Acetylcholine (ACH), which acts as a mediator between nerve impulses.
Takra Dhara gives stability to the Life Force (Prana Vata), taking the heat out very effectively, it reduces the speed of neurotransmitters (producing a state of deep relaxation for the patient), enhancing neurological function to pave the way for:
Remarkable Benefits and Transformation:
- Klama – Mitigates fatigue.
- Shirorak – Effectively cures headache.
- Regulates Hormonal function.
- Ojahkshaya – Replenishes depleted “ojas” (our vitality, our immunity, a vital essence of our whole physiology).
- Kasaiharana Paristodana – Relives the pain and prick sensations of extremities.
- Murta dosha – Abnormalities of the urine.
- Sandhi-Vishlatha – relaxed stiff joints.
- Hridaya ruk – Cure precordial pain – (the region in front of or over the heart).
- Aruchi – Improves the taste in the mouth
- Agni mandya – Improves the digestive power
- Shiro roga – Diseases of the head
- Karna roga – Diseases of the ear.
- Akshi roga – Diseases of the eyes.
- Dosha Kopa – Alleviates the vitiation of doshas in general.
Takra Dhara is Indicated and Effective for:
- Mental stress
- Psychological illness
- Mental exhaustion
- Dermatological conditions like eruptions, eczema, etc.
- Pediculosis (lice)
- Premature greying of hair (Palitya)
Shiro Dhara (pouring of oil)
Shiro Dhara is same treatment as Takra dhara, except using warm oil instead of buttermilk.
Shirohdara is prescribed in cases of:
- If the season or climate is cold – since Takradhara is cooling, for most people it is not suitable in the cold seasons.
- Neurological conditions like alzheimers, dementia, parkinsons
- When vata is in the head.
- If ones blood pressure is low.
- Other cases that have been accessed by the physician.
Book in for a Takra Dhara or Shiro Dhara at the Clinic – to take a transformative step for yourSelf.
For prices see Therapeutic Menu
Abhyanga + Takradhara/Shirodhara is a great combination.