Amalaki (Embilica officinalis) is not only considered by many to be Ayurveda's most potent fruit, but Amalaki is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda that is used extensively in formulations.
English: Indian Gooseberry
Sanskrit: Amalaki, aka Amla (vernacular).
Latin: Embilica officinalis or Pjullantus embilica (less common)
- Dhatri ("Mother" or "Nurse") - Amalaki is the ultimate carer and healer.
- Amrta ("Immortality") - There are only a few herbs which have the Amrta quality. Amalaki is like nectar that promotes immortality.
Rasa (taste): Sour (predominately), sweet, bitter, astringent, pungent
Virya (energy): Cooling
Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Sweet
Gunas (quality): Dry, light.
One of the marvels of Amalaki is that it contains all 6 tastes except salt. Thus this fruit mitigates:
- vata by its sour taste
- pitta by its sweet taste and cold virya (energy) and
- kapha by the dry quality and astringent taste.
Usually sour herbs aggravate pitta. Amalaki is an exception, and is one of the very few sour herbs that actually reduce pitta.
Ganas (classical groups):
- Vayasthapana (Anti-Aging) - Caraka (The famous sage) quoted Amlaki as the best among the Vayasthapana herbs.
- Jvarghna (Treats Fever) (Caraka)
- Kasaghna (Treats Cough) (Caraka)
- Virecanopaga (Purgative) (Caraka)
- Kusthaghna (Treats Skin Diseases) (Caraka)
Rasayana - Longevity and Immunity
Rejuvenator that promotes longevity. Thus is included in the classical group of Vayasthapana. "Rasa" (the essence of properly digested food) is being spread ("ayana") to nourish all the rasavaha srotas: 10 dhaminis (arteries) and heart, as well as the udakava srotas: Talu (soft pallet) and kloma (pancreas/thyroid).
This potent anti-oxidant fruit is fantastic immunomodulator, aphrodisiac and rejuvenator. (Bhavaprakasa).
Assists bowels and reduces inflammation in the GIT as it supports healthy intestinal skin. Especially helpful in ulcers, hyperacidity (Amlapitta), colitis, hepatitis, haemorrhoids and intestinal bleeding conditions. Great laxative and liver cleansing action. Healthy intestinal "inner" skin accordingly improves health and lustre of the "outer" skin.
Diabetes and Metabolism
Its Ojas and immune boosting action helps cope with diabetes and urinary disorders (Prameha), (Bhavaprakasa).
- Respiratory System - Amalaki's immune boosting action strengthens the lungs and helps in cough.
- Sattva (Pure Consciousness) - Amalaki’s prabhava (special effect) is having a sattvic effect that raises the quality of consciousness and the overall wellbeing of the body.
- Raktapitta (Bleeding diseases) (Bhavaprakasa).
- Caksusya karma (Benefits the Eyes) - Reduces excess pitta in the eyes. Triphala is one of the best formulations for eye diseases (Netra roga). (A.P.I.)
- Soma Roga
- Kesha (Hair Tonic) - increases hair strength, reduces premature baldness greying since it pacifying the pitta burning the roots of the hair. A main ingredient in the Vital Veda + the Raju family's Bringraj Amalaka 11 Oil and Rajus Kesha Oil.
Vitamin C Powerhouse
According to the studies, the average Amla fruit (22.5gm) contains 121mg of vitamin C.
The average orange (130 grams) has about 70mg of vitamin C.
So one little Amla berry is packed with more vitamin C than the orange, which a 5.8 times bigger fruit!
Amalaki has 10 TIMES the amount of vitamin C than an orange when we measure equal weights of both fruits.
Research suggests this all-natural vitamin C content contributes to the potent antioxidant capabilities of Amalaki.
This is far from mega doses of vitamin C that people are taking. But what is compelling is the ability of Amalaki to take a small amount of vitamin C and use it to activate an entire matrix of chemicals that deliver a multitude of health benefits.
More about Amalaki herb coming soon.
One of the most popular formulations in Ayurveda and rightly so because mostly everyone can use it and benefit from triphala's actions.
Triphala helps in diabetes and skin diseases. It is fantastic for the eyes (external and internal application) and helps in fever. It helps in digestion and natural, regular elimination (laxative action), thus is an essential supplement to take today when we (even health individuals) are inevitably exposes to environmental toxins.
Note Triphala is contraindicated for those with loose motions, diarrhoea, bleeding disorders of the GIT.
"Tri" = Three
"Phala" = Fruits
The three fruits (in equal quantity) that make up triphala are:
- Amalaki (Embilica officinalis)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Shodana Vati - 3-Dosha Balancing and Purification
Shodana Vati's main ingredient in Triphala plus a whole lot more other herbs. If one takes Shodana Vati (superior option) people do not need to take Triphala.
This is a Raju family formula made with love and mantras that is the best free radical scavenger and anti-oxidant; immune modulator and blood purifier. It's good for gastrointestinal disorders, allergies, tooth and oral problems, female problems, high cholesterol, chronic cough, eye disorders, addictions, helps clear the skin and more. Available at Vital Veda.
Unfortunately most herbal manufactures are not making proper Chyavanaprasha. The only company that makes it properly to my knowledge is Maharishi Ayurveda, although Maharishi Amrit Kalash is superior.
Anand Sidhi Yog - Nutritious Immune Boosting Bliss
An easy to digest rasayana that strengthens and repairs all the dhatus (tissues). It provides supreme nourishment for rapid healing and feeds the most re ned levels of the physiology, the mind and only the healthy body, not the disease.
It strengthens the lungs, helps in chronic cough and is a great anti-oxidant. "ASY" restores physical vitality, immunity, good digestion and eternal bliss. Amalaki is the main ingredient in this Raju family formula made with love and mantras. Available at Vital Veda.
If taking Anand Sidhi Yog, no need to take Chaywanaprash or Amrit Kalash since ASY is superior.